Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Las Vegas in June

 We usually find ourselves wandering down to Las Vegas in the summertime.  Since that is where I grew up, I love to go down and visit, reminisce and tell the kids stories about my youth and see family. 

This year we had a very special reason to head down there.  Its like this... McKaleigh is obsessed with all things musical.  She loves movies, music, plays etc...If something has music, she is all about it.  So, this year we thought it would be fun to surprise her with tickets to see Phantom of the Opera in Las Vegas (before it leaves in September).  We decided to make it a special kind of daddy/daughter date  night.  Here are a few shots of them all dressed up and ready to go.
 She had such a magical night (and got hooked up with great tickets, just under the chandelier when it swings down and breaks).  McKaleigh is now 14 and is so excited because Brett has told her that he would start to teach her to drive (in a safe environment of course), she is going to Youth Conference, and can now attend the youth dances.  She is heading into her freshman year and is taking all kinds of honor and AP classes.  She might even be able to graduate HS with her associates already done!  The future is bright for our oldest kiddo, she has her head in the clouds and her feet on the ground!

 Another thing that we love to do is visit with my crazy uncles.  I always tell the kids that they are lucky to have great uncles like I do and will appreciate them when they are older.  We were able to meet them for a tasty dinner and some rowdy conversation while we were there!  They always say something shocking (which the kids love them for)!
 The whole crew...
 The uncles informed our waiter that it was McKaleigh's birthday, so they sang to her, she got a tee shirt, and a Choco Taco with a candle in it.  She was so surprised (and embarrassed) that she forgot to blow out the candle...and had to be reminded.
 It was hot and windy during our visit, but nothing that could not be cured with a smoothie and some water fun!
 Then we visited all of the usual stops that the kids love... M&M World, Coke World and the Fun Dungeon at the Excalibur (which I might add is really fun!). 

We have always made time to stop and visit old Grandma Judy when we go down to Las Vegas, but this year we had to make that stop at the cemetery where my grandmother and grandfather and great grandmother are buried.  It has been almost one year exactly that she has been gone (I like to think she is somewhere much better)!  But she is still missed just the same as it was yesterday.  Sometimes I still think i'll call her just to check on a recipe or get gardening advice.  I still think about her every time I go out into my garden, watch golf or see a bright red lipstick color...She loved bright, vibrant colors and that is why we chose these flowers for her.






3 comments:

Deb said...

I loved reading about your trip. You are such a wonderful family. McKaleigh is great girl and I'm sure her future will be filled with great opportunities

Verity said...

So fun!!!!!! We love McKaleigh (and her fantastically awesome family!) :)

sewnews said...

What a terrific present.... Great family memories