Every January, just after the holidays, our family sits down and we talk about goals. I guess about 3/4ths of the rest of the country are probably doing the same, but it is a great opportunity to really listen and challenge the children to come up with some "resolutions" of their own, family resolutions, and what we can do to help each other achieve our goals. We usually speak with the children the morning before we are going to make our "New Years Resolutions" and ask them to reflect on the changes they want, or need to make in their lives and our family life. I was really impressed with what they came up with this year! Then we post the goals up in our kitchen and review them periodically...to check and see how we are doing.Here are a few from each of us: (the kids came up with theirs all on their own)
Dad: Ride bike to work more often, run more 5k's, and save more.
Mom: Improve healthy food options around the home - for everyone, do more deep cleaning and organizing.
McKaleigh: Get my YW ribbons, put money in my savings every month, be more active and healthy throughout the day.
Colton: Balance media time with active things, workout with dad, take veggies to school instead of unhealthy options.
Alex: Clean my room, be nice to Colton and McKaleigh, brush my teeth.
Family Goals: Keep yard and home clean (if you see it, pick it up), make dinner for mom once a month, make time for more bike rides, walks, tennis, basketball and other active things.
All in all it was a successful goal making night and I am hopeful we will be able to have fun while working on them together!~
2 comments:
We must be on the same wavelength--I just posted our family goals, too! :) We miss you guys--hope all is well!
I love that you make goals as a family. I'm sure it makes you a closer family and gives the kids a feeling of working together you can accomplish a lot.
Post a Comment