I have to say that pretty much every weekend lately has been great! That said, We had a great time on Labor Day. We decided to take the family to "This is the Place Heritage Park." The boys and I had never been, and Brett had not been since he was a kid - McKaleigh had been with her Achievement Day group, but was excited to show us around. Ever since our return, I have suggested this as a great family activity to everyone.
After a really fun bike ride to Gardner Village for some treats and to see some of the Halloween Witches out and about, we came home and while Alex napped, Dad and the kids got some Guitar Hero practice in.
At This is the Place Park...
Here are the kids in front of some old wagon tires and an old wagon.

Here are mommy and Alex washing a cloth in an old bin with a washboard. The water was so dirty, and he loved it!

Here is our buddy all finished washing and showing you he then pinned his cloth up on the clothesline.

Dad and Alex playing with some pioneer toys.


After getting some fun in, dad and Colton had to go and plow the field. Colton thought this was really hard work...Daddys job - to make sure the row was straight - not so hard!

After working in the fields, the boys played some more pioneer games!


Then Alex gathered some veggies and took them into the tithing building.

While Alex was paying his tithing in carrots, Colton decided to make candles. It was quite a process, but here is his finished product! Pretty Cool - he just started with a thin, wet piece of string.

Mommy and the kids taking a train ride around the lake...Alex kept yelling "All Aboard" and loved every minute.

Colton and McKaleigh stamping pieces of leather to make really great designs. I think it was really fun for the kids to see how all kinds of things (arrowhead necklaces, clothing out of skins, leather working, black smithing) were made back in the day!


Daddy taking Alex around on the pony rides.

The free petting zoo was a hit and it was huge. Alex really like giving all the animals a pat pat.

Daddy donning some real cowboy gear. What a handsome guy!

Daddy showing Alex a hatchet - Mckaleigh stayed far away, she though Alex was a bit reckless with this weapon.

Back at the general store, ever the shopper she is, McKaleigh invested in a coonskin cap and a back of butterscotch candy (not that she needed some, because she got a bag of the exact same candy on our morning bikeride to the village!).

Our little buddy in his western wear checking out the world through a kaleidascope.

Along the trail we found a baby goat that needed a pat pat.

Right in the middle of the Park is a little village with kid size houses. The kids all played here for awhile - Alex really enjoyed ringing the bell on the Firehouse.

At the end of the day we took a train ride around the whole Park and just sat back and took it all in. It was amazing the amount of work it took to live back then. Thank Heaven for my easy life today!

I have to say, with everything that is going on in the world today, it is days like this - with my husband and kids that make me feel that we have it pretty good. In looking back through these pictures, there were so many smiles, laughs, and so much excitement in all of us to see and do. We don't have to "break the bank" to have a great time, and the time we do have is so very precious. I guess I just have to say, I am lucky, blessed, fortunate...whatever you want to call it, and I am glad I am!
2 comments:
That looks like a lot of fun. I never knew that it offered so many things to do. We might have to go up there sometime. Mallory is kind of fascinated by pioneers. When we are driving around she always asks me what building the pioneers made. Ha, ha!
You sure know how to pack a lot of fun into ONE DAY!
Post a Comment