I was so close to her for this and so many other reasons. I can't remember a winter in my youth that she and my grandfather did not have their RV parked on the side of our house for months at a time, their door was always open to me. On Christmas mornings I would tip toe out to the RV to wake up Grandma and Grandpa to come in for presents. She was the face I would see in the mornings when my mom went to the hospital to give birth, telling me yet again, it was another boy. I spent many Summers at her home picking peas and veggies from her beautiful gardens and playing scrabble. Grandma Judy and Grandpa Dan taught me how to fish, play cards and I spent many an afternoon and evening watching soap operas with her and Cops with grandpa - both appointment t.v. shows. As I grew older and life was more busy I always found time to wander out to the RV and visit or play a game. As a mother, I would often call her to find out how to cook foods she prepared for me as a child, of course brought to the table on her homemade pot holders. I am so lucky that each of my children have a huge puzzle she completed just for them to have in her memory. Grandma Judy lived life on her terms, with a spunky attitude and great sense of humor. I have spent may days in my garden thinking of her and my grandfather in the past and more so in the past few days. I will miss her as she has always been there for me, loved me unconditionally, supported me through my mission, and some of life's tough choices. So, in a way, I feel like I am missing more than a grandmother, but a mother and close friend, but she will really always be with me.
Monday, July 18, 2011
The Passing of a Great Grandmother
I was so close to her for this and so many other reasons. I can't remember a winter in my youth that she and my grandfather did not have their RV parked on the side of our house for months at a time, their door was always open to me. On Christmas mornings I would tip toe out to the RV to wake up Grandma and Grandpa to come in for presents. She was the face I would see in the mornings when my mom went to the hospital to give birth, telling me yet again, it was another boy. I spent many Summers at her home picking peas and veggies from her beautiful gardens and playing scrabble. Grandma Judy and Grandpa Dan taught me how to fish, play cards and I spent many an afternoon and evening watching soap operas with her and Cops with grandpa - both appointment t.v. shows. As I grew older and life was more busy I always found time to wander out to the RV and visit or play a game. As a mother, I would often call her to find out how to cook foods she prepared for me as a child, of course brought to the table on her homemade pot holders. I am so lucky that each of my children have a huge puzzle she completed just for them to have in her memory. Grandma Judy lived life on her terms, with a spunky attitude and great sense of humor. I have spent may days in my garden thinking of her and my grandfather in the past and more so in the past few days. I will miss her as she has always been there for me, loved me unconditionally, supported me through my mission, and some of life's tough choices. So, in a way, I feel like I am missing more than a grandmother, but a mother and close friend, but she will really always be with me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
This is such a sweet post. I could feel your love for her in your words. I know you feel blessed for having this amazing woman in your life. You have great memories and that is something you will always have and can share with your children. I am very soory for your loss.
J- that was a really nice post about Grandma Judy. I know that you guys were close and I'm sorry that she won't be around. :( We sure are going to miss her too.
So sorry to hear of your loss. How nice you will have wonderful memories to keep in your heart always.
I just saw this post. I am so sorry for your loss of Grandma Judy. I remember her being a very cool grandma. Lots of love and hugs to your family.
A beautiful post. Losing loved ones is never easy, but I know you'll be okay because you have such wonderful memories! We miss you guys!
Post a Comment