Sunday, June 2, 2013

McKaleigh's Dutch Oven Cookoff - 2nd Place

 Every year the 9th graders have the opportunity to participate in a dutch oven cookoff.  It's kind of a big deal.  This year McKaleigh and her friend Jorga decided to throw their hats in the ring.  It was much more complicated than anticipated, thats for sure!  They had to (I) fill out all kinds of waivers and permission slips, register their recipe with the school, get their food checked out by the health department, stand in front of a panel of judges (like on iron chef), before they could serve it to the public, have a parent there at all times to monitor the exchange of money...It was no small feat!  They cooked up homemade mac and cheese, pulled pork sliders and monkey bread. 
 The fun thing about this cookoff, is that it is kind of legendary. The whole neighborhood comes out, the high school kids drive over and there are lots of elementary school kids begging to get checked out  to taste the feast that these kids have prepared in dutch ovens.  They get to decided what to charge for their meals and keep the money that they make, ...McKaleigh and Jorga made about $80.00 each!
 AND took second place overall - out of about 40 teams!  Way to go girls, you are welcome to cook for our campout anytime!

2 comments:

Deb said...

I am so proud of McKaleigh! I wish I could have been there to support her. I hope she will always like to cook. She is a really great girl and her Mom is equally great to volunteer to help out in the booth by taking the money. I'm sure a lot was learned from this experience.

sewnews said...

What a wonderful feat and experience. You go girl